Meet Nipper, the RCA Dog

Published on

[elementor-template id=”3378″]

Meet Nipper, the RCA Dog

Nipper, was easily amused. Legend tells that Nipper would sit in front of an Edison phonograph and quizzically gaze into the horn from which came some of the first recorded sounds in history. “His master’s voice,” is very doubtful, but his owner, the English artist Francis Barraud, painted the dog and entitled the picture, His Masters Voice.

In 1901 Eldridge Johnson purchased the right to use the image as a corporate logo in the United States from the Gramophone Company of London, and thus the RCA Victor trademark was created. When Victor and RCA merged in 1929, the trademark was passed along and continued to be the company logo until 1969 when it was discontinued following the retirement of David Sarnoff from RCA.

Here are a few of RCA Victor Milestones
1901 – Eldridge Johnson founded Victor Talking Machine Co.
1929 – RCA merged with Victor Talking Machine Company
1939 – First commercial television sets are manufactured at RCA Camden, New Jersey
1946 – RCA introduces the first post-war televisions at the Camden plant.
1955 – RCA introduces the first color television sets at their plant in Camden.
1968 – An RCA camera is carried on Apollo 7.
1969 – Neil Armstrong’s words from the moon are transmitted from an RCA radio.
2002 – Dranoff Properties purchases the historic plant complex and begins a transformation into luxury apartments.

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Dear Readers,
Remember Nipper and be sure to return to IN A FEW WORDS next Sunday. I have a surprise for you.
Ray, editor

that was a great logo. a shame they discontinued it. they could have instead modernized by making it more abstract.

Past Article

Donald T. Matter, Jr.


John Luther Jones was born March 14, 1863, first worked on a railroad in Kentucky and at age 25 had enough seniority to join the Illinois Central. Opportunities for advancement were good at ICRR and records show Jones was promoted to engineer on February 23, 1891 and his name first appears on the register book of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers on March 10, 1891. Read the story of that tragic night in April 1900 when Casey Jones became a man around whom a legend grew.

Read whole article »

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x